Best Wireless TV Speakers For Seniors
AgingInPlace.org keeps our resources free by working as an affiliate partner with some companies mentioned on our site. These partnerships or the commission we may earn do not affect our opinions or evaluations of the products we mention. Our reviews are solely based on our research methodology and from input from our AgingInPlace.org Advisory Board. Learn more about our ad policies.
Best Wireless TV Speakers For Seniors
TV technology and design continue to evolve significantly. Smart TVs with internet connectivity features are now standard. Screens become slimmer and sleeker each year with improved picture quality and definition. Despite all of these advancements, sound quality is one feature that seems to be lagging. Speakers that come built into thinner flat-screen TVs don’t deliver the best audio. For those with hearing impairment, this can be even more frustrating. Fortunately, there’s an easy way you can improve your audio experience. Wireless TV speakers are a convenient way to get the volume control and sound clarity you need in an easy-to-use, portable speaker.
If you’re struggling to hear the dialogue or have noticed your TV isn’t delivering quality sound, it may be time to consider boosting your existing TV audio with a wireless TV speaker.
Portable speakers are easy to set up and transport, making them ideal for seniors or anyone who thinks improving home audio is complicated. Wireless TV speakers are compatible with most TV models. They come in a variety of styles and sizes to suit your lifestyle and home. If you don’t like the look of additional speakers added to your entertainment system, there are compact, low-profile options that don’t draw attention.
With this in mind, we want you to make the most informed choice based on your needs and budget. Read on to learn the features and considerations we highlight and discover some of the best options for you to explore.
How We Found the Best Wireless TV Speakers For Seniors
TV Speakers We Reviewed:
- AudioRange SPK-1000 FM Wireless TV Speaker
- JBL Boost TV
- Polk Audio Woodbourne
- COBY Wireless Digital Hearing Amplifier
- Sereonic TV Soundbox
Best Overall For Seniors
AudioRange SPK-1000 FM Wireless TV Speaker
Features and Specs
- MORE OPTIONS – You can seamlessly toggle between your TV and the FM radio.
- EASY TO USE – The built-in transmitter enables you to connect the speaker to your TV easily–no pairing required.
- HEADPHONE COMPATIBLE – The addition of a headphone jack allows you to easily watch TV with hearing-impaired loved ones.
- TONE CONTROL – Switch between TV or music tone control to balance the sound quality no matter the setting.
Great value for the features and specs included
Provides hearing solutions designed specifically for seniors
30-day money-back guarantee–no more buyer’s remorse
A reliable range of up to 100 feet
Square-shaped design may not be appealing to everyone
The AudioRange SPK-1000 comes in an attractive matte-black design with a handle on top for easy carrying. If you often find yourself getting up from the couch to do other things while listening to TV, the portable design with a range of up to 100 feet is very convenient.
We also like the fact that the SPK-1000 isn’t just a TV speaker. You can also use it as a portable radio with the addition of FM radio. Switching from TV audio to the radio is a seamless process that doesn’t require any additional steps to set up.
The AudioRange SPK-1000 includes an additional headphone jack allowing two people to watch TV together at different volumes. It also gives you the option to watch TV if you’re frequently in a noisy environment or you don’t want to disturb anyone else in the house.
Once you receive your speaker, set-up is a breeze. All AudioRange products are compatible with almost all devices and include easy-to-understand controls. You won’t have to spend hours studying the manual to watch your favorite show!
Best Compact Speaker
JBL Boost TV, Best Compact
Features and Specs
- BLUETOOTH STREAMING – Connect up the three different devices to your JBL for wireless streaming
- HARMAN DISPLAY SURROUND – Experience virtual surround sound without any additional purchases
- DUAL BASS – Capable of producing rich sound in a small form
- JBL SOUNDSHIFT – Switch sound sources seamlessly
The 15” form is low profile and can blend in with your living room seamlessly
Includes with remote control
Can connect to multiple JBL speakers for an immersive listening experience
Purchase through Klarna to divide up your payments
Not true wireless–requires one cable to connect to TV
If you’re looking for a wireless TV speaker that doesn’t call as much attention to itself, then look no further than the JBL Boost TV. At only 15″ long with a low profile, this small speaker easily blends with any decor.
Even though it’s small, many reviewers were shocked by how well it amplified the sound coming from their TVs. The Harman Display Surround paired with dual bass are the main reasons why. These features enable rich sound that seems to be coming from all directions without any additional equipment needed.
We also like the fact that it comes with proprietary JBL SoundShift technology. Since the speaker can connect with three Bluetooth devices simultaneously, this allows you to switch the sound source from your TV to your phone, tablet, or another device.
While you’ll still need to connect one cable to your TV, the Bluetooth wireless technology enables you to enjoy continuous TV or music listening through your phone or other Bluetooth-enabled devices.
Best Premium Speaker
Polk Audio Woodbourne, Best Premium
Features and Specs
- STYLISH – Striking wood detailing and a crescent shape
- POWERFUL – With a 180-watt amplifier, it produces rich sound even at moderate levels
- EASY TO USE – Pair your devices to the speaker with cable, Bluetooth, or AirPlay
- VERSATILE – Capable as a dedicated TV speaker, music speaker, or both
Includes remote control for volume, playback, and source input control
Free App that allows you to update the firmware easily
Enjoy high-quality audio through AirPlay
Rich, room-filling sound despite the small size
Weighing 17.5 pounds, this wireless speaker is not easily portable
Expensive for most people at $399.99
If money isn’t an issue and you’re looking for a premium speaker with a stylish design, the Polk Audio Woodbourne is our premium pick. This powerful speaker system can deliver rich sound, working well as a dedicated TV speaker system and flexible enough for playing music.
One of the most notable aspects about this speaker and a reason for its high price tag is its captivating design. Many speakers we’ve found are black and rectangular; the Polk Audio Woodbourne stands out through its unexpected form factor. If you’re a fan of mid-century modern design, this speaker can fit right into your space!
The elegant lines also mean you’ll find minimalistic controls on the speaker itself, but it also comes with a remote similar to a TV remote. We like the fact that, along with the volume, you’ll be able to change the audio source and playback from the comfort of your couch.
At 17 pounds, this speaker is unfortunately not as portable as others. However, the sound quality is robust enough to span multiple rooms.
Best Budget Speaker
COBY Wireless Digital Hearing Amplifier TV Audio Speaker for Hard of Hearing
Features and Specifications
- PLEASE NOTE: Before inserting the optical cable, note the presence of a translucent plastic cap covering the lens, please gently remove the tips before plugging it into either end. The COBY TV Speaker provides the perfect level of sound wherever you want…
- Manage TV Volume with precision, mute in a second, and even plug your wired headphones into the speaker for truly personal sound. recharge, simply reattach the speaker to the base or use a handy Micro USB port
- Great for seniors, couples, families, or anyone who wants to optimize their TV volume comfortably and conveniently. Simply connect the base to your TV through line in or digital audio output connection and enjoy the speaker from a distance of up to 100…
- Simply connect the base to your TV through line in or digital audio output connection and enjoy the speaker from a distance of up to 100 feet
- Bluetooth Speaker to play your favorite music and audio from a smartphone or other device
Includes an ergonomic carrying handle
Capable of connecting with headphones
Charging light so that you know when the battery is full
Affordable price compared to similar speakers
No automatic volume control for loud commercials
If you’re looking for an excellent portable speaker and don’t want to spend over $100, we recommend COBY Wireless. At only $79.95 on Amazon Services, LLC, this is one of the most affordable wireless TV speakers we could find for the features it offers. However, it’s essential to keep in mind that this means it doesn’t include all the bells and whistles that more premium speakers provide, such as voice clarifying technology.
Many people stated in the reviews that this is an excellent speaker choice for the hearing impaired, as it gives them the ability to keep the speaker next to them at a comfortable volume level. Its digital audio output connection also gives you the ability to carry it 100 feet away from the signal source.
When it comes to wireless speakers, one of the main concerns is the rechargeable battery–you don’t want the speaker to die during your favorite show. We like that the transmitter also serves as the charging station for your speaker and that there is a light indicator on the device to let you know when the battery is full.
SEREONIC Portable Wireless TV Speakers for Smart TV – Ideal for TV Watching Without The Blaring Volume
Features and Specifications
- Bring the Sound in Close – Hear every second of your favorite shows, films, and songs, without turning up your TV speakers. Set a wireless speakers for TV from SEREONIC next to you anywhere in your home.
- Versatile Receiver – Connect your wireless TV speakers for hard of hearing to any device with RCA, 3.5 mm (aux), or digital optical jacks. SEREONIC TV Speaker wireless base transmit custom-tuned, zero-lag RF audio from the base to the TV speakers for…
- Portable and Powerful – Carry your wireless tv sound with you in your den, bedroom, kitchen, or outdoor. Turn your best TV speakers into outdoor TV speakers and improve your watching, listening, and talking experience. Your small TV listening device…
- Convenient Power – Charge your best tv speakers in about 3 hours on a USB-powered base or connect directly to a standard charger. Enjoy your Bluetooth speakers for TV up to 8 hours of continuous operation on a single charge.
- Let Us Help – Count on SEREONIC for a full range of hearing devices for the hard of hearing and TV speakers for seniors. Your TV speakers wireless system is backed by our commitment to your satisfaction.
Includes two AC adapters allowing you to charge the speaker from multiple locations
Independent audio control from your TV
Allows you to carry it up to 100 feet away from the audio source
Adjustable tone control for clear dialogue
Design not as attractive as other TV speakers
If you enjoy carrying your wireless, portable speaker around with you throughout your home, the Sereonic TV Soundbox may be one of your best choices. One of the top reasons is because this small light speaker is only 2.75 lbs. Moreover, you can carry it up to 100 feet away from the audio source without any drop in signal.
This speaker also comes with a fair amount of features for the price. For instance, its voice clarifying technology allows you to adjust the volume so that dialogue is easier to hear. If you have trouble sleeping and need some background noise, it also has a handy one-hour sleep timer.
Once this snooze function is activated, the sound will slowly fade away after one hour. You won’t have to worry about draining the battery overnight if you like to fall asleep watching TV.
One of the main caveats of this TV speaker is the design. The glossy material in the front by the controls is prone to fingerprint marks. The large brand logo also makes it less appealing aesthetically.
What Seniors Should Consider When Buying a Wireless TV Speaker
When it comes to the perfect wireless TV speaker for your home, there are several features to consider in addition to factoring in your personal preference and lifestyle.
If the ability to carry your speaker throughout the house is essential to you, make sure to choose speakers that have a range of at least 100 feet. You’ll also want to choose speakers that are small and lightweight to avoid straining your joints.
Battery life is also an essential factor. You’ll find that most wireless speakers last an average of eight to ten hours on a full battery. However, speakers that include charging bases can make your life easier–all you have to do is set them on top.
If you’re looking for a low-profile TV speaker that can blend well with your existing entertainment system and decor, many wireless TV speakers stand out for their look and design. Consider color, material finish, and control styles, and if the product logo or branding jumps out too much.
The included addition of a handle is vital for the function of your device, as it makes it easier to carry it around your home. You’ll find that the inclusion of a handle often blends well with the rest of the TV speaker’s design and doesn’t stand out.
The wireless TV speakers reviewed in this guide range in price from $80 to $400. If you are an audiophile, you may want to invest more for superior sound; however, many high-quality devices are economical and provide excellent audio. Keep a lookout for manufacturer’s discounts, use services such as Honey, or wait for a seasonal or holiday sale to find the best deal on the wireless TV speaker you want.
If you’re struggling to hear the dialogue in your favorite shows reliably and don’t like the sound quality of your built-in TV speakers, we recommend giving wireless TV speakers a try. They provide good amplification with a broad range of sound, increase sound clarity, and give you the ability to adjust the volume for conversations.
Portability is a major plus when it comes to tv listening devices. Many wireless TV speakers are lightweight and compact, allowing you to place the speaker anywhere, which is especially beneficial if your couch is far away from the TV.
Lastly, look for wireless TV speakers that include an additional headphone jack, giving you the flexibility to continue watching TV or listening to music without bothering others.
Wireless TV speakers are an excellent choice for improving your existing TV sound. They are simple to use, easy to transport, and many models double as an FM radio or music sound system. Whether you are considering a device to serve primarily as a hearing amplifier or looking for a portable speaker that offers the flexibility to suit your lifestyle, investing in a wireless TV speaker is recommended.
Do you want to cite this page? Use our ready-made cite template.