- Nearly 2 million Georgia residents are enrolled in Medicare. Almost 700,000 of these enrollees subscribe to Medicare Advantage plans.
- There are 127 Medicare Advantage plans available across Georgia, each offering benefits within the five subcategories of MA plans.
- Not all providers cover every county. Plan costs and benefits will also vary by zip code.
- You can only enroll in Medicare Advantage at certain times of the year outside of your initial eligibility period.
Medicare Advantage in Georgia: Quick Facts
Medicare Advantage is a subset of Medicare that’s provided by private insurance companies. It includes the basic hospital and medical insurance benefits of Original Medicare (also known as Medicare Part A and Medicare Part B), but with some bonus offerings, such as membership to fitness programs, and dental, vision, and hearing coverage. Most Medicare Advantage plans are also bundled with Medicare Part D prescription drug plans, but not all policies offer this perk.
Georgia is home to more than 1.7 million people enrolled in Medicare. Around 40% of these beneficiaries are enrolled in a Medicare Advantage plan. The state’s average monthly Medicare Advantage premium is far less expensive than the national average, which is good news for the hundreds of thousands of people likely to enroll in MA plans this year.
Here are some quick facts about Georgia’s Medicare Advantage landscape in 2020, according to the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services:
- In 2020, the average monthly MA premium is $16.18, down from $17.10 in 2019. The national average is around $23.
- In 2019, there were 687,314 people enrolled in Medicare Advantage and just over 1 million enrolled in Original Medicare across Georgia.
- In 2019, 60% of Medicare enrollees chose Original Medicare, while 40% opted for Medicare Advantage or other plans. This statistic varies slightly from the national average, which posts 63% enrolled in Original Medicare and 37% enrolled in MA.
- There are 127 Medicare Advantage plans currently available in Georgia.
- All Medicare beneficiaries can get a MA plan with a $0 monthly premium, which is the lowest premium rate for MA plans.
Medicare Advantage Plans
Before we cover the various plans that are available in Georgia, it’s important for you to know how Medicare Advantage works. This will help you choose a plan that is specifically tailored to your individual needs.
There are five subtypes of Medicare Advantage plans. Each subtype has its own model of coverage and cost-sharing: