Top Sensor Mats For Fall Prevention
AgingInPlace.org keeps our resources free by working as an affiliate partner with some companies mentioned on our site. These partnerships or the commission we may earn do not affect our opinions or evaluations of the products we mention. Our reviews are solely based on our research methodology and from input from our AgingInPlace.org Advisory Board. Learn more about our ad policies.
Top Sensor Mats For Fall Prevention
About 25 percent of seniors fall each year; over 27,000 die as a result. Whether it be from ailing seniors recovering from surgery trying to get out of bed, senior with dementia or Alzheimers who are prone to wandering, or simply elderly seniors getting out of bed for the day. Being alerted to your loved ones activities adds some peace of mind in your caregiver duties. And the new technology that you’ll see in a sensor mat will be a welcome addition for products geared at fall prevention. Our roundup will show you how you can make your home safer for you or a loved one.
How We Found the Sensor Mats for Fall Prevention
Sensor Mats We Reviewed:
- Secure Floor Mat Sensor
- Ideal Security SOLO Pressure Mat
- Smart Caregiver Floor Mat Exit Alarm
- Smart Caregiver Light With Cordless Floor Mat
- Smart Caregiver Fall Monitor And Floor Mat
Secure Caregiver Alert System Bed Exit Alarm Set – Wireless Caregiver Pager, 24″ x 36″ Floor Mat Sensor
Price not available
Features and Specifications
- Monitor elderly fall risk patients and loved ones discreetly without alarm noise in the patient room – Floor mat sensor connects to wireless transmitter that sends wireless alert signal to the caregiver pager when the patient and steps on floor mat – The…
- Place floor mat next to the bed, in a doorway, at the front door, etc. to prevent unwanted wandering – Floor mat sensor dimenisons: 24″ x 36″ – Floor mat sensor is latex-free, incontinent-proof, and durable for continuous use
- Caregiver pager can be attached using the integrated belt clip, carried in pocket, or placed near caregiver for continuous senior fall prevention monitoring in the home or healthcare facility – The pager features multiple alarm and melody tones and three…
- Set includes wireless caregiver pager, wireless sensor pad transmitter (can also be used as a nurse call button to notify pager), and 24″ x 36″ pressure sensor floor mat – Operating distance of approximately 500 ft. in an open area (walls and other…
- Pager can be paired with up to four monitoring components – Optional monitoring components include Fall Alarm Monitor, PIR Motion Sensor, Pull Cord Alert, Nurse Call Button, Door/Window Alarm (Search ASIN: B00P88S6PU) – One year warranty
The caregiver has three different options for setting the alarm.
It works within a 500-foot radius.
The sound won’t disturb others in the room or startle the patient.
The mat is reversible and latex-free.
It is also anti-microbial.
It is expensive
No volume control on alarm
The radius applies only to unobstructed space within the same room
The Secure Floor Mat Sensor is an excellent solution that considers both the senior and the caregiver in its design and features. The premise like similar products is to alert someone when the patient needs help or has gotten out of bed. It doesn’t ring in the room but instead through a pager that is worn by a nurse.
The mat is a decent size. It will hold up to regular use too. The system is self-contained and will work with other Secure products. The pager can monitor up to four devices. Our primary concern is that the alarm continues buzzing as long as someone—or a pet—is standing on the mat, even with the reset button. The issue of being triggered accidentally is one you likely encounter with any product.
It works as described though a bit costly.
Best Loud Alarm
Pressure Mat Alarm with Chime, Floor Alarm Mat System for Home Security
Features and Specifications
- Pressure Alarm: From deterring intruders with a loud alarm to letting you know when your pet wants a walk with a gentle chime, this pressure alarm mat is useful as a door mat, a pet doorbell mat, an alarm for sleepwalkers, or part of an indoor security…
- Dimensions: The pressure mat alarm dimensions are 21.75” x 13.75”, and is activated with a pressure load as light as 1lb per square inch
- Setup: Once you’ve inserted the 9V batteries (not included) and connected the mat to the 30’ wired alarm unit, you can place this pressure sensor pad beneath a window, under a lightweight pet door mat to hear the comings and goings of your pets, or…
- Select Your Mode: With three modes (Off/Alarm/Chime) to choose from, you can adjust your floor mat alarm to suit your home alarm system or welcome mat needs, and disable it entirely when the alarm mat is not needed
- Package Includes: Pressure sensor pad (mat alarm), alarm unit, mounting screws, and instructions
The mat is suitable for indoor or outdoor use when protected
You can attach the monitor to a nearby wall with the hardware that comes with it
It is affordable
You will know when something has triggered it
You can choose between alarm sounds, chime, or off options
It’s on the small side
Will wear out quicker with constant use
The Ideal Security SOLO Pressure Mat is a corded, battery-operated unit that can be used to let a caregiver know when their patient or loved one gets out of bed. It can also be used it as a security device outside the front door. There are three volume modes: a loud alarm; a chiming sound; or off for when you don’t need alerts. The loud alarms are either 90 or 105 dB. The former is about the same volume as a lawnmower and the latter, about that of a table saw. You will hear it.
The mat is also useful for seniors with dementia or Alzheimers who are prone to wandering, when placed in front of a door they don’t need to be accessing.
The mat isn’t waterproof but can withstand temperatures up to 122 degrees F. On the low end, 14 degrees F is the threshold. If you put it outside, you should cover it with another one that is either water-resistant or waterproof to avoid damaging it.
It is value-priced for use either indoors or outdoors.
Floor Mat Exit Alarm for Seniors Fall Prevention & Anti-Wandering – Economy System
Features and Specifications
- Prevent falls or wandering when a resident steps on the pressure sensing floor mat placed by a bed, chair or doorway that will alert the caregiver by an easy to use audible exit alarm.
- Complete System includes: 1 Economy exit alarm and 1 floor mat.
- Alarm features include on/off switch so caregiver can reset alarm when responding to the resident; a status light that lets you know that the monitor is operational; a low battery warning light; blinking visual alert, adjustable volume control, variable…
- The floor mat is made of heavy duty material measuring 24″x48″ gray, non-slip with beveled edges, with an 8′ cord that plugs into the alarm.
- Floor mat plugs into monitor and audibly alerts at monitor. Alarm works with 3-AA batteries (not included) DOES NOT WORK WITH AC ADAPTERS!
The mat is larger than comparable products
You can adjust the volume of the alarm or choose different tones
It has a one-year warranty
The mat is durable and easy to clean
You’ll know that it’s working correctly with a status indicator light
The alarm isn’t as loud as we would like for some situations which may affect its practicality for some situations
Does not come with batteries
The Smart Caregiver Floor Mat Exit Alarm is a complete sensor system for seniors. It is a corded system with the monitor attached to the mat and has several additions that make it worth a look such as a volume control, power options, and low battery alert. You can use it in a hospital or care facility since it can connect to an existing call system.
The mat works great as a sensor to indicate when a senior or loved one has gotten out of bed; it is also thick enough to provide some cushioning in case of any potential falls. The alarm sensor is sensitive, meaning that pets will trigger it too. That’s not unique to this product, but it’s certainly a factor to keep in mind if you decide to buy one with an alarm. The mat is a good size and is water-resistant. The product performs as advertised and adds a welcome safety element for seniors.
It is a complete system that provides reliable service.
Best With Motion Sensor
Smart Caregiver® Light Outlet with Cordless Grey Floor Mat – Turns on a Light When They get up!
Features and Specifications
- This product is great when used to remotely turn on a lamp or light when someone gets out of bed!
- Plug in any lamp or light to the Smart Light Outlet that will turn on once someone steps on the Cordless Floor Mat
- System includes a Smart Light Outlet and Cordless 24in x 48in Grey Floor Mat
- Smart Light Outlet fits into any grounded power outlet and receives a signal from the floor mat to activate a light plugged into it
- Cordless 24in x 48in Grey Floor Mat will send a signal to the Smart Light Outlet when pressure is applied to the mat
It comes as a complete system
You can use it with any light source, making it a versatile product
It is wireless
It has a generous range of 150 feet
It’s less likely to disturb others
You’ll need to reset the outlet when you want the light off again which is a hassle if you’re bedridden
The Smart Caregiver Light with Cordless Floor Mat isn’t an alarm per se. Instead, its purpose is to provide light for a senior getting out of bed. We really appreciate this function since many falls happen at night while trying to travel to the bathroom, in the darkness. It is a wireless smart device and includes an outlet that you can set up with your lamp so that it’ll turn on once the sensor mat detects weight on it. It is a good sized mat and comfortable when you walk on it.
You can use it with any lamp in the room that is within its 150-foot range. We like the versatility that this feature adds to its use. It helps save on the cost of buying a unit that includes one that may not fit with your decor. Bear in mind that unobstructed space is the ideal conditions for which to use this unit. There is an option to purchase a Cordless Monitor in addition, to serve as an alert system when triggered.
You can use it with any plug-in light source.
Smart Caregiver Economy Cordless Fall Monitor and Cordless Floor Mat Sensor Bundle with Pouch of 30 Cleaning Wipes
Features and Specifications
- ECONOMY CordLess FALL PREVENTION ALARM: Provides affordable and effective cord-free wireless monitoring with a range up to 300 ft. Ideal for home or small facility use
- WIRELESS GRAY FLOOR MAT SENSOR: Color: Gray, Measures 24″ x 48″ – Recommended to place by the bedside or in a doorway. When the resident gets out of bed or tries to leave the room and pressure is applied to the mat and then released, it will send signal…
- ADJUSTABLE VOLUME: The Alarm Monitor has a (Low, Medium, and High) Volume Setting, so the Alarm won’t startle residents and offers QUIETER fall prevention. Monitor needs to be reset after turning it off.
- BATTERY OPERATED: The Alarm Monitor works on 3 “C” batteries (NOT INCLUDED) – You can also get an optional AC adapter that is sold separately – model: AC-04, and the Floor Mat Operates on an internal non-replaceable battery – With normal daily use, we…
- BUNDLE INCLUDES: 433-EC Wireless Alert Monitor, FMT-07C Cordless Floor Mat, Pouch of 30 Cleaning Wipes
The mat is anti-slip which makes it an excellent safety option for seniors
You can run the monitor on batteries or AC power
You can adjust the volume of the alarm
It is wireless
It covers a sizable 300-foot range
It is expensive for what it offers
Batteries not included
The Smart Caregiver Fall Monitor and Floor Mat is another complete system that includes everything you need to ensure your or your loved one’s safety. Again, it can be placed by a bedside or in front of a doorway to alert you when your loved one is out of bed or wandering around. It has several options that we appreciate such as the adjustable volume control and power sources. It is a wireless setup with a decent range for use in a care facility or at home.
The package also includes disinfectant wipes. While we like having them, they aren’t necessary since any household cleaner can clean the items. You can pair the alarm with multiple mats which makes it an excellent choice for care facilities or if you choose to put one on both sides of your bed.
It is a wireless system with an excellent range.
Things You Should Consider in a Sensor Mat
Now that you know what’s available let’s discuss the technology and product features in more detail. This market has exploded in recent years with the advent of smart devices. No doubt, you’ve seen other items that use it such as thermostats, light bulbs, and outlets. We think it’s a significant step forward to improve fall prevention.
How Sensor Mats Work
You’ll find both corded and wireless mats. The former are often less expensive. The setup is typical with the monitor and sensor attached. That means the alarm sounds in the patient’s room. The disadvantages of these systems are that it will likely disturb others in the same room and perhaps frighten the individual. The presence of a cord presents another fall risk.
Wireless setups avoid some of these issues. You can place a monitor outside of the room or at a nurses station. Signal ranges vary, so we recommend checking out this spec when considering this purchase. Bear in mind that the figure refers to unobstructed space. Other devices may interfere with its usefulness.
Another benefit of these types of products is the ability to pair more than one sensor to the main alarm. You’ll usually find that these items are compatible with other ones in the manufacturer’s line. That gives you the ability to set up your system to fit your needs and situation. We’d suggest looking at other offerings as part of your purchase decision if you want to make use of this option.
Features Of These Products
Sensor mats are part of a system that includes another component whether it’s an alarm or another smart device. We strongly urge you to read the product description carefully to learn whether you need to buy any additional items. You can expect to pay around $100 or more for a complete system.
Mats don’t vary a great deal even when it comes to color. Most products we saw were gray and without other choices. An adequate size is an essential feature no matter what type you buy. A non-slip surface is important as well. Remember that these items are not a replacement for a fall mat. They will not provide any added protection in case you slip.
The alarm is where you’ll see a variety of features worth noting. Perhaps the one we like most is a reset button for the caregiver to press once she has responded to a call. We prefer products that have a switch that is accessible so that you can turn it off if it gets triggered accidentally. You’ll often find volume controls too which is a must-have for us.
Wireless products provide a clear advantage over corded ones as we discussed above. It also allows for remote monitoring which is another benefit we appreciate. Many products offer dual power options which add to their convenience. Make sure to check the description to see what is included, noting the type of batteries that you’ll need to have on hand.
The unit may have an adaptor or at least an option one that you can buy. That offers an advantage if 24/7 monitoring is essential without the worry of a battery going dead. We suggest using the one that the manufacturer recommends. Not all products are compatible across the board.
Other Smart Devices
As our roundup included, there are other connected units available too such as smart outlets. You’ll see other supported items in the manufacturer’s line too which adds to their versatility. We also liked the option of adding more than one to the alarm. The downside of using these features is that you’re limited to one company since the pairing is proprietary.
The technology of sensor mats has taken off in recent years with smart devices. As it improves, so too will the availability and features of these products. It will continue to make the lives of seniors and their caregivers easier and safer.
Do you want to cite this page? Use our ready-made cite template.