- Phonak is one of the largest hearing aid manufacturers with industry-leading technologies, like speech enhancers, feedback reduction, FM technology, and noise cancellation.
- Phonak employs advanced Bluetooth capabilities, allowing users to easily stream audio, video, and phone calls.
- Most designs incorporate moisture protection, and some models are fully waterproof.
- Many models are designed for challenging noise environments like offices and schools.
- Phonak is relatively expensive compared to other brands and only sells through hearing professionals, not directly to consumers.
Phonak is one of our top hearing aid picks because they offer a wide range of customizable options with advanced technology features suited for many different types of users. We like that they offer behind-the-ear (BTE), receiver-in-the-canal (RIC), in-the-ear (ITE), and invisible-in-canal (IIC) hearing aid models with multiple performance levels to meet different hearing loss needs.
Most Phonak hearing aids are also Bluetooth compatible, which allows users to connect their hearing aids to devices including smartphones, televisions, speaker systems, and more. This also allows users to manage and adjust their Bluetooth-compatible hearing aids using the myPhonak app. We especially like the variety of technology features that help improve hearing in noisy settings, like crowded restaurants or busy streets.
Finally, Phonak does not sell directly to consumers but instead requires the use of a third-party distributor (an audiologist or hearing specialist) in order to get a highly customized hearing solution. The hearing aid focus group discussion from our 2022 Hearing Aid Testing Summit highlighted the importance of customized selection and fit in order to have a positive experience with new hearing aids. “A hearing aid is only as good as the person working on it,” said summit attendee Dr. Candace Ortiz-Hawkins, an audiologist and co-founder of the Capital Institute of Hearing & Balance.
Pros and Cons of Phonak Hearing Aids
Extensive range of models available
75 years in business
Accommodates challenging noise environments
Rechargeable, long-lasting, and extended-wear battery options
100% invisible option
Advanced technology features
Prices are not featured on website
Prices vary widely by distributors
Expensive compared to competitors
Professional consultation required to purchase
One-year limited warranty